Saturday 21 June 2014

XC racer Part III - Optional Extras

With most of the bits in stock, my attention wandered to tyres, Rocket Rons in particular as I didn’t have a decent all rounder tyre in stock and again, Pinkbike came up trumps.  Though I originally saw the ad on Bikeradar, I was too new to pm the seller but the tyres were also advertised on Pinkbike so I made contact through their messaging system.  The Seller was someone I had seen posting on Bikeradar, and had recently broken up his HT as he rides road now.  I almost bought his Focus Raven and the nearly new Rocket Rons that he had on the bike would be perfect for me, £30 delivered was the price agreed, half the price of a single tyre new, and with some elbow grease cleaning them up they now look practically new. 





The plan for the cranks then took a lucky turn via eBay.  I had been keeping an eye out for a set of BB30 cranks that would come in under the budget for the adapters to run my HTII cranks, which would free them up for another build that needs them.  I hadn’t expected to get anything for that, but a set of FSA Afterburner cranks came up, these are a triple BB30 but 9 speed - something of a rarity as everyone is 10 speed and most people want a double or even a single.  This also got me thinking about 1x9 so I did some research, and this is a possibility for the future.



FSA Stock Image from CRC 


Actual Part



The FSA Afterburner Cranks were had for a pretty amazing £5 starting bid plus £7 postage.  This almost never happens to me, so the saving on adapters will help the budget, and may free up enough cash for a narrow wide chainring for a 1x9 set up.  Condition was excellent, they have been used and there are heel rub marks on the arms that have removed the lacquer  but the teeth are in very good condition.

So with all the new bits delivered I just have to dig the parts out of my storage unit and get the bike built.  With a one month old baby getting creative with ways to occupy my free time this may take a while so keep checking back and I will update as I go along.  

You can also see more pictures and bike stuff on my twitter page @jamescycles 


No comments:

Post a Comment